Twitter has been around for a couple of years, so I’m a relative newcomer myself. I like twitter because you don’t have to friend anyone; you make friends on twitter.
It’s not about the numbers. Obviously someone famous will have a lot of followers and someone of nominal interest will only have a few followers. I consider myself to be somewhat interesting and am happy to have the wonderful friends I’ve made on twitter.
These are my rules; they probably will differ from yours.
- Anyone may follow me.
- I do not automatically follow anyone. I will not follow you if all you do is post links, retweet other people or try to sell me anything.
- If you have a private account, I can’t follow you back unless you go public. This lets me see who you are and follow freely. You can always go private when you are through chasing new contacts.
- If you want me to follow you, you must say something to me or engage me in conversation.
- I will put up with occasional periods of stuff that does not interest me if I find you interesting.
- If I decide to follow someone, I do not expect them to automatically follow me.
- If you see someone on my list of followers or people who I follow that interests you, feel free to follow them.
- I seldom retweet, don’t expect thanks, and am genuinely shocked if I get retweeted.
- If you feel the need to retweet one of my tweets (or anyone’s tweet), please be kind enough to give proper credit.
- If passing along someone’s retweet, keep the originator of the tweet and cut your friend/followed’s name. It’s the honest thing to do.
- If you decide to unfollow me, for whatever reason, that’s okay.
- It is also okay to change your mind and re-follow me if you decide that you miss me. I won’t block you for changing your mind.
I can handle a difference of opinion, or being called out when I’m over the line. I can handle friendly jibes meant in jest. In other words, I do not have a hair-trigger block, but I cannot and will not tolerate unprovoked personal attacks by mean-spirited people. Flame me and you will be blocked!
If you insist on sending me spam, I will block and report you.